Infinitas Bookshop Forums

Forums about science fiction, fantasy books, role playing games, tradable miniatures, books, authors, SF TV and film, etc.
It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Iain M Banks would be one of my favorite science fiction authors. Yes, he is very dark. However, some of his contempory novels do not work for me. I wish all his novels were Culture stories.
Of his science fiction novels, Consider Phlebas is the one I remember the least of. I have heard others recommend this title too. I shall put it on my to read list. It has been years since I have re-read a book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:56 pm 
Infinitas troll

One book that grabbed my attention when I first read it was Waylander, by David Gemmell. I had already read Legend before that, but this was recommended to me by a friend who said it was a better novel. Not sure what it was, but there was something about this book that just hooked me as I started to read it, and as a result I couldn't put it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:08 am 

I have to nominate Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I really love the wizards rules (up to number 10 now I think!?). They really made me think about how they relate to our world (even though we don't have quite the same situations!!). I also love the way he deals with prophesy and how the people react and affect it. I love how he shows that by going out of your way to avoid a prophesy you may actually be making it come true. So convoluted but fantastic to think about.

Not sure if it counts as a book that make you go 'wow' but it made me think (often!) so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Rissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

G'day all

Rissa, I really enjoyed the first 4 -5 books of the Terry Goodkind books, but after that I got a little frustrated with the relationship between Kahlan and Richard. However, you do make a good point about them fighting against the prophecy and only ending up fulfilling it. I think I'm going to have to read the books again. It's been ages since I last picked up a Terry Goodkind! I wonder how it rereads and how my perception of the books have changed over time.

Keep smiling

Post subject: I just thought of another one!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

G'day all

I think Tim will agree with this one:

Elizabeth Moon, Vatta's War Series, Book 2 - Moving Target

The author did something really unexpected at the start of the book which blew me away. Loved the whole series. Thought it was fantastic, but this book really stood out!

Keep smiling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

I concur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:14 pm 

Must agree about Consider Phlebas. I think that one wowed me more on rereading, actually - it was one of the first of his I read and it must've taken me a while to get "into" Banks' writing - I find that there's often an undertow, or undercurrent, in his scifi (haven't read the mainstream stuff) that isnt' immediately apparent but at some point jumps out at you and gives you a bit of a head tilt. Difficult to articulate exactly what I mean by that, but its not the only one of his to have that quality, I've found.

My "wows" these days often tend to be pretty mild or maybe more intellectual than visceral, but when I was first getting into fantasy/sci fi, as a kid, that wasn't the case. One that stands out for me is my first reading of Lord of the Rings, as a young teen. I quaked in my bed when the Black Riders appeared, sniffing, sniffing...and as for Shelob, well, I had to go and put the book down for a while before I could face that dark tunnel. Kinda like hiding behind the lounge when watching Dr Who and the Hand of Fear on the telly (that might've been in the 70s, eek!).

A recent-ish one for me was a couple of years ago, having discovered George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - in the first book, there are a few deaths that shake the reader (or me, at least) because they "go against" the unspoken rules of fantasy fiction, in a way. One of them in particular part of me still can't believe, and that's after having devoured 4 or 5 more thick volumes in the same series. Go George.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Over Christmas I did re-read Consider Phlebas. I was impressed with how well structured as a novel it is. It is full of great tech ideas, like a good SF novel should be. Aliens were alien, not funny shaped humans. Wow factor confirmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:03 pm 

Stephen Lawhead - The Paradise War
Dan Abnett - Necropolis
Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon
Ursula Le Guin - The Dispossessed

Some off the top of my head that wowed me.