Infinitas Bookshop Forums

Forums about science fiction, fantasy books, role playing games, tradable miniatures, books, authors, SF TV and film, etc.
It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the last Harry Potter “The Deathly Hallowsâ€
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:44 am 

Having just read the book I was disappointed with the story. The book is fast paced and obviously from the timing of this post it was good enough for me to read it in a rush but there are weaknesses
I fell in love with the Harry Potter series due to the humor and naivety of the characters. I liked the idea of the books being written in a gradually more adult manner to reflect the gradual aging of the reader.
However the last two offering have been of a general standard. The humor that was in the first books was lacking and as such the storylines became nothing special. I think that it would have been possible to juxtapose the darkening of the story line with humour but this does not happen.
The Half-blood Prince was a confused book that really didn’t get going until half way through. This last one while better has a number of failings. The early books had a mystery element to them that could challenge the reader to try and figure out what was going on before the characters do.. This one leads the reader and there are few clues that challenge the reader.
I guess it just didn’t live up to the hype. The author has said in interviews how there had been clues and hints to how this book would end in all the previous books. I didn’t really find it so. What I felt was that she tried to add references to often minor events in the previous books and so give them greater meaning.
Similarly like the half-blood prince the developing romances between characters were not explored. I think that to keep a younger audience interested JK has shied away from this part of the characters development. They don’t behave like teenagers. Frankly she would have been better off not having this facet of their characters being explored than write it in the manner she did.

For a Dark themed story with humor aimed at young adults the Jonathan Stroud Bartimaeus series, Amulet of Samarkand, Golems Eye and Ptomley’s Gate is a much better offering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 am 
Site Admin

I see you can write book reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:04 pm 
Infinitas troll

Hmmm... reading this review kinda makes me glad I've read the Harry Potter books. I'd hate to get so far through a series, and be disappointed with the way it finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:23 pm 

I was quite happy with how the Harry Potter books were ended. The story was nicely closed with no huge unanswered questions. The whole fairy tale ending in the final chapter was a bit much but I think it was needed for all the younger kids that are reading the series.

Does anyone know if other books will be written in the Harry Potter world? Some from when Harry's parents were at Hogwarts could be fun. Maybe not a whole series, but a few stand alone stories.

Rissa
woohooo 2 posts now!! :wink: