Infinitas Bookshop Forums

Forums about science fiction, fantasy books, role playing games, tradable miniatures, books, authors, SF TV and film, etc.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: January 2008
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

books for January 2008 are
Company of the Dead http://www.infinitas.com.au/Product.php?bar=9781405038041
and Temeraire
http://www.infinitas.com.au/Product.php?bar=9780007219117
or
http://www.infinitas.com.au/Product.php?bar=9780007258710
or
http://www.infinitas.com.au/Product.php?bar=9780345481283

Last edited by Tim on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Review Group January 08
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Tim...

Thanks for the post... but this needs to be moved to the review group section!! :lol:

Keep smiling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Moved.

Post subject: January 2008 meeting
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Tim!

Tim, you mentioned that the author of The Company of Dead may be able to attend the January meeting. Will you be able to confirm that between now and then?

Keep smiling :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

I think he would be brave to attend. Perhaps I should coach you in how to be gentle. He says he would like to come. I look forward to it with amusement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:22 am 

Location: Somehow I always find myself gravitating towards the centre of the universe.
Why is it every time Tim is looking forward to something with amusement I want to make sure my will is in order and my health insurance is up to date?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

CyberController, now it is you being brave.

Post subject: January 2008 Meeting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Tim

I'm shocked, I tell you... shocked! :shock: I'm always gentle! :D
:lol:

David we promise not to bite... I can't promise the most logical or coherant comments about your book, but if you turn up, I'm sure most of us will have it read in time (2 have already read it, 2 of us brought the book last meeting... and now Tim needs to get more in!).

Keep smiling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 pm 

Location: Somehow I always find myself gravitating towards the centre of the universe.
Tim, I'm just saying it how it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

David dropped by the shop today, so I sold him a book and twisted his arm to come to our meeting this month.
Why does it seem like inviting a cow to a BBQ?

Post subject: Review Group!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

G'day all

What another great night at review group!!!!!!

Just to refresh, the books for review this month were: Naomi Novak's "Temeraire" and David Kowalski's "The Company of the Dead".

I must admit... that I have been very, very, very, very, very, very, slack :oops: :cry: :oops: and did not finish reading either book. The feelings about the Naomi Novak were mixed within the group, with some loving it and others feeling compelled to read the next book for the story line, but not overwhelmed by the experience.

The Company of the Dead, however, was a completely different story. All the members there, that had read the book, raved about how fantastic it was. In fact, at some points, it was hard to get a comment in edge wise about the book due to the level of excited conversation that was occurring. I think of all the books that we have read, this is the first book that everyone there has been so totally enthused and impressed with. There was only one tiny 'negative' comment made, which was that some felt the book was a little too long, but no one could decide on what could or should be cut out because everything within it was completely essential to the story! Generally they all said it was a well planned, well written and thoroughly thought out book, not forgetting the most important thing... really enjoyable as well! To think, all of these favourable comments arrived before the author himself turned up! (when we got to repeat them all again for his benefit!) :D

David was absolutely delightful. He talked frankly about his book, where some of the ideas came from and about the process of writing the book. He answered our questions, happily accepted our feedback and gave us some hints about his future plans. We jumped on Tim and Dan's computer to look at the web site for the book that has a whole lot of additional information (like maps, timelines etc). I can say with a fair amount of conviction, that when David puts out his next book, all of us, that have read this book, will buy anything else that he writes.

Well... I'm running away now to go finish reading this book... now that I'm back home from holidays have a little more 'reading time' up my sleeve. I’ve got to finish this book and find out what everyone was raving about!

Keep smiling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 am 

When the length of the book was mention it was as constructive criticism. As was previously stated, nothing could be extracted from the book without dramatically altering it - which then would result in it being not the same book.

It should also be noted that the author put 10 years worth of work into this book, and that it shows that with every page. Although the length of the book was a bit of an issue that was raised, it should again be noted that this extraordinarily long book allowed the author the elevate the characters and the story to a level that is rarely seen these days.

I know this has been said a thousand times before, but I can't emphasis enough how excellent this book is. I'm recommending it to anyone and everyone.

I'd also like to extend a big "Well Done" to David for creating this book. It also being his first published work is an added credit to him. I'll definately be reading his other books as they come to availability.

Until next time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:11 am 

Quote:
It also being his first published work is an added credit to him.

Actually, first published *fiction* would be more accurate I suspect :)

Cya
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:24 pm 

Fine. My apologies.

Post subject: The Company of the Dead
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

G'day all!

Well, I finished The Company of the Dead last night (only a few days late!). It was great. As had been mentioned in an earlier posts, the first 170 pages was a slower read as the story gets set up, but once things started happening, the pages flew by! It was probably helped by the fact that I actually had some more time to read the book this week as well!

The things that I really enjoyed about the book included the characters. They were well thought out and likeable. How the author broke the story up by section and chapter, which assisted in the flow of the story and the honour and spirituality displayed by the characters.

So, congratulations David on a fantastic book. I can't wait to see what your next offering is going to be!

Keep smiling