Infinitas Bookshop Forums

Forums about science fiction, fantasy books, role playing games, tradable miniatures, books, authors, SF TV and film, etc.
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FreeCon 2012
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 pm 

The 2012 Sydney Freecon will take place on October 26, 27 and 28, at the University of Technology Sydney, Broadway / Railway Square near Central Station, an accessible Sydney CBD venue.

Because of this location and the involvement of UTS Students and staff I'm expecting 80 to 120 people to be involved in this year's Freecon, and as ever, it will be a Free Entry event* whose the prime directive will be to display the broadest possible range of Sydney's SF&F community. 

As in previous years, the Unicon Freecon will include;    
A commitment to providing a program of talks on topics of interest to SF&F Readers, Sci-Fi viewers, Published and emerging Speculative Fiction Writers.   
A dozen or more Published SF&F Writers will attend to discuss their recent work in Speculative Fiction.   
A Paradox Auction of donated SF&F books, Magazines, DVDs and Videos (where they get cheaper as the Freecon goes on).   
Some Audience choice 'Whiteboard Democracy' discussion panels. 
An Audience judged Short SF&F Story writing competition with Cash Prizes (application forms available August 1, 2012).

The Ghosts of Honour of the 2012 Unicon Freecon will include; Writers; Ray Bradbury (US) Sara Douglas (Aust) Anne MacCaffrey (IRE) and Arthur Haddon, Australian SF fan. I invite you to share with us at the Freecon what their life and work has meant to you.

This year the Unicon Freecon may include;
A 'Freebies Bag' of donated SF&F / Science items, for the first 100 to Register _and_ to attend the Freecon. 
Six, three hour program sessions spread over three days, 6 pm to 9 pm on Friday evening - 9.30 to 6 pm on Saturday -  10 am to 5 pm on Sunday. 
'Four Minutes of Fame' opportunities to you to introduce your SF&F interest group or product to the Unicon Freecon audience 
A second room being available for 'Meet an Author', Kaffee Klatches and other ad hoc breakout meetings
A Saturday night Dinner to mark 60 years since the 1952 Sydcon, Australia's first SF convention 
A 'Pre-supporting Membership' method / Membership list via a special purpose Unicon Freecon Meet-up Group. 
Some space for SF&F interest 'trade' and club displays. 
For a first time, Interstate Freecon members will be able to stay at nearby (cheap end of Darling Harbour) hotels.
Freecon supporters groups, i.e. people travelling in to the Freecon together from the Blue Mountains, Canberra, Newcastle and Wollongong. 
An opportunity for the representatives of SF&F / Sci-Fi student interest groups from several NSW /ACT Universities to meet and discuss matters of common interest.

If you have an idea or an interest that you feel would interest the members of the Unicon Freecon please get in touch.    If you can offer me a panel of three people prepared to attend and talk about it, then I'll probably give you a program slot.    

If you are on your own, I could give you a 'Four minutes of Fame' opportunity during the main program and an opportunity to hold a second room meeting about it. 

Websites, Registration and Application forms - To Be Advised, available August 1, 2012?

This event is Sponsored by the UTS Atheists Society who see the Unicon Freecon as a chance to offer the UTS and SF&F communities members the opportunity to spend some time with 'ordinary' but thoughtful people who live without the compulsion to believe in one or more Gods.    The 'theme' of the 2012 Unicon Freecon is - 'Consider _All_ the possibilities' a sentiment capable of being shared by Atheists, Agnostics and SF&F fans with or without faith.

*The Unicon Freecon is a Free Entry event, if you like, you can come for a single panel or for all three days, but Registration in advance is strongly advised.   Only 40 seats can be reserved for UTS students and staff.    Attendees of previous Freecons will be given preference for the remaining seats.

Post subject: Re: FreeCon 2012
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Celebrate science fiction writing, chat with other readers, submit your own short story, participate in judging for the short story competition.
Ask at the shop for an entry form, we can email it to you.